Friday, June 15, 2012

DIY Chef: Almost Homemade Salsa

I never tire of salsa. I like it on salads, chicken, chips, eggs...you name it, I'd probably eat it with salsa. I enjoy making homemade salsa with fresh ingredients like tomatoes and cilantro from my backyard. But one day, on a whim I decided to experiment with my salsa recipe and use pantry items. It turned out very tasty and I didn't spend 20 minutes chopping veggies! Warning: I don't like to measure, so excuse my overuse of "dashes", "shakes", and "squeezes.". So here's how I did it:

Tools:
Blender or food processor
1 can Rotel
1 can diced tomatoes
salt
lime juice
garlic (cloves or powder)
purple onion (optional)
cilantro


Step 1: In a blender pour in Rotel and canned diced tomatoes.
Step 2: Add lime juice (squeeze of 1 lime or 1 Tbsp of bottled lime juice)
Step 3: Add 2-3 shakes of garlic powder or 1 clove fresh garlic
Step 4: Add fresh cilantro to taste. (Add as much or little as you like. I like 3-4 pinches from bundle.)
Step 5: Add salt to taste. I like 3 dashes, but adjust to how salty you like your salsa.
Step 6: Dice half of purple onion and add to blender. (3-4 dashes onion powder can be substituted.)
Step 7: Pulse 4 times (Pulse longer if you like smoother salsa.)

Serve with chips or top chicken dishes with this tasty salsa!
Note: For a slightly sweet salsa, add 1 Tbsp honey or Agave nectar.

Happy almost cooking,
Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment